Thursday, September 07, 2006

le rock français

In an attempt to stave off my dinner appetite at 4pm, I'm melting frozen blueberries in my mouth. And now I've just eaten half a cowgirl spicy hot chocolate bar.

Do you wonder what french people listen to on their iPods? (ee-puhds?) Since Christie Blatchford didn't trade hers for, say, Le Pen's in her Globe spot a while back, here's my guess:

In the golden days you had Trenet, Montand, Aznavour, Salvador...les grands chonsonniers who rattled off stories with vaudevillian flare. "The raving fruitcake Maurice Chevalier" is still a phrase I use from time to time. That and "he donned his lemon carpet slippers" (quite possibly from P.G. Wodehouse, that last one. Or Lolita. Apologies for any copyright infringement). For a lesson in play-by-play emotions made visible, watch a Jacques Brel concert - one where it's just him on a stool in a spotlight. It's theatre!

I'll be in France in 2 weeks, stocking up on tea and baroque sheet music, getting fat (they stay thin by WALKING. I've watched them eat...) and wondering if the new Amélie Nothomb book is a grand jeté from Le petit prince. Not home, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home